6.01.2011

the week without...



















just a sneak peak into what you missed out on! (have you ever seen so many head shots?)

Okay, okay, this is long over due. Gage, momma and Daddy did the unthinkable! We
left you home for a week while we were living in paradise! Sad, I know.

Would you have loved it? Most definitely.

Are we glad we left you home? Unfortunately, yes.

Were we sad at times because we did? You better believe it!

Kids clubs, and pools, movies on a big screen and all the free frozen yogurt you could imagine! Daddy and I caught ourselves saying “Gage would love this,” more than you even know! But what got me most were the other one year olds splashing around in the pool. As embarrassing as this is to admit, I did wind up in the bathroom of my cabin crying, looking at pictures of you from your birthday. Pathetic, right? I missed my baby!

As if leaving you screaming in Grandma’s arms wasn’t hard enough, then we get a text from Grandma a few hours later saying you were a perfect angel, happy as can be, like you had forgotten us already! My worst fear was coming true only hours into this trip! Ask your aunties, I was freaking out that you would forget about me!

Fortunately, other than my mini break down in the bathroom, we consumed our time swimming, riding on slides, eating yummy food, riding around on scooters, swimming with sting rays, snorkeling, and getting our tan on!

Things were perfect until the morning we were to come home. We were checking in at a kiosk, and the error reading “See an agent” came up. We knew this couldn’t be good. And it wasn’t.

“Flights were canceled due to weather.”

It was like an unknown super power started kicking in. I was in complete and utter Mommy Mode, and I was determined to get home and get home today! I had a baby expecting me that I was refusing to let down! (ok, you would have been fine, and you definitely would not have even realized I was gone, but I would like to think I could save you!)

With several phone calls to supervisors, and a few tears, they managed to get me on a flight back to you that day. But not daddy. Normally flying alone would be no big thing. But this time was different. So, you can imagine that touching down in Salt Lake on Saturday night, only 5 hours later than planned, was absolutely relieving! And to make matters even better, I saw my not-so-baby little man out at the curb. I ran up to that car like I hadn’t seen you in years. The moment I swung that car door open, even as startled as you were, you smiled, reached both hand towards my face and gave me a good smack on the cheek. I whipped you out of that car seat so quick you would have thought I broke it. I held you tight so tight in fact, you pushed me away slightly so you could see the car drive by. Immediately your head whipped around to see a bus full people drive off. Then your attention was on an airplane that was coming in.

Yup, you were exactly the way I remembered. Attention deficit, hyper active, and most of the time you only need me to kiss your owies better, and hold your sippy cup while you run off and fall. I loved it. You were perfect.

You even had a pretty gnarly road rash on your face...it was a sure sign of a good time, hiking with Nana!
Things were not as awesome for daddy when he arrived the next day. You were deprived of a nap, not allowed to play on the curb because it was raining, and pretty upset with me when he arrived. You still knew who he was, but you were too upset to smile for him like you did for me.

And I don’t want this to go forgotten. This last week has been the best. For the first time in your life, you preferred me over your daddy. Coming home early was well worth it! Yes, this will only last for a short time. But I have been soaking in every second snuggling when you let me!

We promise to not leave you behind again....anytime soon, pinky promises!

1 comment:

Mrs. JM said...

great head shots! i need to see a pic of you in that khols dress.