3.01.2011

dear gage

I am so proud of you and what a trooper you have been through the ordeal with your damaged heart, the surgery and the titanium implant. You are bright, alert, and determined to keep going and survive this first challenge in your life. I’m sure over the years there will be various other challenges, and you, like each of us, will experience these challenges. They will be for your good and development and they will help you define who you are, but remember that you have power to overcome.

Heavenly Father has blessed you with an easy going, gentle, happy personality that makes it a delight to be around you, and contributes to everyone one you come in contact with falling in love with you. I have had the honor of getting to spend almost every work day with you for a couple of weeks before and after your surgery and have had an opportunity to get lots of one on one time with you, this has allowed me to build a bond with you that I would never have experienced otherwise. You smile, giggle, laugh and bring joy to my heart just by my being around you. We went for walks in the stroller everyday and were even adventurous enough to try a picnic and hike up to a beautiful waterfall in Little Cottonwood Canyon with your mom and Auntie Mana; the smell of the fresh pine, the beautiful scenery, the crisp cool air - it was exhilarating! We just wished Auntie Stef was there to be our drill sergeant pushing us forward and keep us laughing with her cute sense of humor; I guess we will just have to do it again when she returns. You will be 2 years old by then and will probably be running up and down the trail outdoing the rest of us with your boundless energy and enthusiasm.

As you grow you are becoming more active, alert and fun so I look forward to the times I get to spend with you, watching you change into the darling little man you are becoming. It takes such a short time to get attached to you, and feel that strong, loving bond. In February when I was watching you I felt so loved and accepted by you that it just melted my heart. While I was with you, we went for an outing to drop off a valentines gift for Auntie Stef at the MTC and when the clerk wanted your attention you turned away from her and reached quickly for me, snuggling your face into my neck. Oh my goodness, you are so precious, you instantly had me wrapped around that little finger of yours.

I recently heard a song that made me think of you and the feelings we had when you were first born, it is entitled “Little Child.” You had such perfect little hands and little feet, you had such cute rosy little cheeks, it was truly a blessing to be at the hospital 10 minutes after your birth and see you, hold you, and smell your sweet baby smell.




Love,

Nana

No comments: