9.09.2010

dear gage - love momma


Day 5

Gage baby! You are home! Waking up this morning to find you playing with your pet giraffe, wearing an attractive cut off onesie (because you had drooled on your cute jammies), kicking your legs as if you were running, smiling as happy as can be...its almost as if i have you back to your good 'ol self. Some of the best news we have heard yet came from your cute nurse Amy. She tells us that you were a champ all night, so much so, that we get to take you home! The thought alone of having you back home and out of this drab hospital made me squeal! The aquatic theme is entertaining for ‘lil ones, but a bit much for momma. She could use a change right about now!

Getting your vitals checked for the last time, signing the discharge forms, and trying to understand what medications you need to take, all seems to be a blur, and its only been a few hours. Maybe because I was fixated on getting you out of there, maybe because my ADD has become worse than ever lately, whatever the case, lets hope daddy was paying better attention!

When Momma finally got to hold you tight and walk you out of those doors, the pure adrenaline made me a little loopy, its almost like I was on your lortab! I was on a mission, nothing could stop me, I was fixated on the exit sign. The papers were signed, we had gotten the signal, and that's when I stepped up the pace and we hustled out those doors! I even dropped your giraffe on the way!

The moment we stepped out of the huge revolving door, into the crisp cool air, you smiled. You know, the huge kind of smile? The one where you squinch your nose and close your eyes tight. It was bright. Clearly you had been locked in that room far too long! It’s been a long time since your auntie has taken you out in the sun in the big double stroller!

Getting you into your car seat for the first time after surgery was scary. Momma didn’t want her little mister to hurt. That huge buckle right against your broken sternum, Ouch! But you took it like a champ. So much so, you fell asleep for the entire ride home.

When we got home we didn't hesitate to lay you in the middle of the big comfy bed. Has momma told you how comfy this bed is? It felt so good to be back home. We rested that sweet head of your onto your pillow. Did you know you had your own pillow (well two actually!). Mommy and daddy used to have to pillows each. But as always, you get was you want. We figured we could both sacrifice one, so that our baby was as comfy as can be. One for your head, and one to prop up those legs. You sleep better on your pillows than ours. You were in your giraffe jammies. They were crisp white and clean, even smelled good too. It probably wasn't going to last long, but int he moment it all seemed perfect.You smiled lots. Like those huge smiles where we expect a loud laugh, but you are always silent. Momma and daddy laid down on either side. I am hoping you went to sleep fast, because next thing I knew, I was waking up next to two sleeping boys, three hours later!

The lortab makes you sleepy, but I suppose that’s a good thing. Grandma think babies heal faster when they are asleep. So we are going to stick with that logic for now!

Its so nice to have you home. Its scary at times, not being able to pick you up like I used to. I always worry about hurting you. But you reassure me with that big smile that everything is ok momma!

I love you munchkin!

Love, momma

No comments: